Hello – welcome to this page. The very fact you are here and looking to get help to get you through your experience – I am sorry for what’s happened to you and that it wasn’t the experience that you wanted.
When we’ve experienced birth trauma/birth grief or birth dissatisfaction/disappointment it can cause us to feel some of these emotions:
BUT AT LEAST YOU HAVE A HEALTHY BABY…..
Having a birth experience which wasn’t as you expected can cause the following issues:
- Not bonding with your baby
- Relationship problems with your partner/family
- Inability to cope day-to-day
- Postnatal depression/anxiety/PTSD
- Inability to sleep
These can affect mum – however, it can affect Dad too (yes Dads are susceptible to PTSD/PND/Anxiety and more) – just as much!!!!
BUT GREAT NEWS – you are here and you recognise you need help to get through this experience.
And unfortunately you are not alone – I receive a steady stream of messages from parents seeking help to overcome what their experience has been. In fact, this was one of the reasons I learned to use this technique BECAUSE I met so many women wanting a doula for their second birth who had been traumatised by their first experience. I wanted a quick and effective way of supporting them and this is it.
Here’s how Birth Trauma Recovery can help you:
The aim of Birth Trauma Recovery is to allow you to come to terms with your birth experienced. It won’t erase the memory of your baby’s birth, but it will enable you to reflect on your birth differently.
- Identify and isolate specific events or series of events around your birth that are causing you difficulty to process – maybe ruminating in your head
- Explore the emotions that you’ve been experiencing
- The REWIND process may help to neutralise these feelings – ie you won’t cry when you remember your baby’s birth
- Forgive yourself, your partner, your care team
- Helps you re-gain control and get on with life again
- You may be able to discuss your birth calmly and openly
- You may feel much more positive towards the birth experience
- It may give you the freedom to confidently plan your next birth (if you are planning to have more children)
- You might feel less anger or disappointment.
Birth Trauma Recovery may be for you if:
- You are needing help to overcome your birth
- You want to be at peace with your birth
- You are ready to work through the experience and isolate any specific triggers
- You’ve tried other therapies and nothing has worked
- You are open to trying a completely different approach
- You prioritise your health and well-being
So what is Birth Trauma Recovery?
- One-to-one sessions
- Are for mums or dads who need the space to process the birth they have experienced or witnessed
- Uses a mixture of tools – primarily REWIND or EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique – often referred to as tapping) which can help get to the root of the issues very quickly and also help to release and reduce the intensity around these
- If needed, you might be taught EFT which you can use as a method to whenever you get a flashback or trigger (and you can use throughout the rest of your life)
- Identify any other ways you can get help and support through this time
- Helps regain control over your emotions
- Safe, non-judgemental and confidential space
So what ISN’T Birth Trauma Recovery
- Removal of your memory
- Counselling – this is a technique to help you to remove the emotions surrounding the birth
- Debrief – we will not be debriefing your birth, going over hospital notes or anything else – in many situations debrief can make the trauma worse
“Tricia’s Birth Trauma Recovery treatment was recommended to me during my second pregnancy. I had a very traumatic first birth but didn’t receive any treatment or counselling at the time, instead focusing on getting on with being a new mum. However, as I started to plan for my second child’s arrival, I found myself reliving my previous experience, leading to difficulties sleeping and anxiety about my upcoming birth. I was also upset that my previous experience was completely overshadowing what should have been a happy and exciting time, looking forward to my new arrival.Tricia used the REWIND technique to help me address the lingering issues I had around my daughter’s birth, which I had been bottling up for over three years. To be honest I wasn’t sure what to expect, partly because I didn’t really know what I needed ‘fixed’ – I just knew I needed to feel better. I found it a very emotional experience but it helped me realise how much I had been holding on to negative thoughts and memories, and how much they had been continuing to affect me. I was amazed by how much more positive I felt about my daughter’s birth after just one session – I hadn’t expected to see results so fast, and by the end of my second session felt completely ‘at peace’ with my memories. For me, the really important thing is that I can still honour the memory of my daughter’s birth (as despite everything it’s the most important day of my life), without it negatively affecting me in my day to day life now.
I am so grateful to Tricia for her support. Despite being very nervous about what to expect, she put me at ease quickly, and her passion for helping mums really shone through during both of my sessions. I would happily recommend her Rewind therapy for anyone suffering any sort of birth trauma.” (Jennifer, Edinburgh)
“I gave birth to my eldest in 2015 and, in hindsight, did very little preparation for his birth. Thinking about how to decorate the nursery was more interesting than thinking about labour. Unfortunately I had a very long and distressing labour which I found extremely hard to cope with and recover from, both mentally and physically.
Too preoccupied with our little bundle of newness to seek professional help I gave birth to our youngest 18 months later. My second labour was quicker and a much more positive experience which highlighted to me how traumatic my first labour and recovery from it had been.
We recently found out we are expecting no 3 which prompted me to seek professional help to finally try and lay to rest the negative experience of my first labour. I saw an article about Birth Trauma Recovery on a Facebook page and, with two little people to look after, the relative ‘quickness’ of the process appealed.
I got in touch with Tricia and, from the word go, I found her knowledgable, sympathetic, professional, efficient and easy to talk to. She is very passionate about helping women during pregnancy, birth and recovery and the work she has done in the Edinburgh area to help and provide woman with information about pregnancy and birth is inspiring.
There was a choice of session times and the location of the sessions is welcoming and cosy. I found the actual sessions extremely beneficial and I came away from both sessions feeling very positive. They allowed to me deal with the memory of my difficult labour in a way that caused me no further distress and have worked extremely well. I only wish I had known about and used Birth Trauma Recovery sooner.” (Clare, Edinburgh)
“I must admit, I was sceptical but having done the rewind session, I really have noticed a difference. The test was last night when I couldn’t get to sleep and the thoughts of the birth played on my mind. However, rather than force myself to think about anything else, I let myself replay the birth. I definitely found all those feelings of fear and anxiety didn’t return and it was like I was replaying just an old, everyday memory. I would like to say a huge thank you, it’s really helped.” (Anonymous, Edinburgh)
“Thanks so much for that Tricia. You have been amazing and I really do feel so much better. Today I’m knackered due to a teething [child] but generally a lot more relaxed and lighter. I haven’t been upset or cranky so far. I think I was carrying all that anxiety around for quite some time and it really was exhausting. I can’t thank you enough.” Anonymous, Edinburgh.
“I was diagnosed with postnatal depression and post traumatic stress disorder after becoming seriously ill with sepsis & pneumonia a few weeks after the birth of my baby girl. I was struggling to cope, to look after my older children, couldn’t sleep without having nightmares, and fell into a really dark place. On the days I managed to drag myself out of bed I found myself pretending I was getting out and about when my older kids were at nursery/partner at work, and would change the position of the pram then throw some clothes on before they came home to make it look as though we had been out. I was desperate to feel able to cope with all 3 kids on my own and yet the thought made me feel sick, as though it wasn’t possible. I visited Tricia for Rewind therapy and I can honestly say it has turned everything around for me. After a couple of sessions and some more reflection on things I hadn’t been able to properly process before I am back to enjoying looking after my children and having confidence in myself a mother. I go out because I want to, not because I have to. There’s rarely a day in the week that I’m not meeting someone for coffee/lunch or going to a baby group. I have known Tricia and admired her work for some time, I probably wouldn’t have considered Rewind therapy if it wasn’t her I had heard about it from, but I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who is experiencing any form of trauma. It’s hard to explain exactly what it’s like but Tricia is clearly a natural with it, as I got so relaxed and into the “zone” I fell asleep during my first session. I am so very thankful for my opportunity to receive this help and get my life back on track.” Laura, Edinburgh
Tell me MORE – I’m ready to book
- Sessions will take place in Albany Street Clinic (see youtube clip here) on a Friday morning or Wednesday evenings, in my home at other times or via Skype.
- Friday mornings or Wednesday evenings or other times are available
When should I start:
- You can start anytime after your baby is born, I’d suggest waiting at least 4-6 weeks to see how the brain is already working through your birth
Can I do this in pregnancy?
- You can do this at any point in your pregnancy
How many sessions and for how long:
- Most clients will need two sessions, others might need additional sessions if there are other issues going on too as a result – it might be that those clients move on to EFT sessions
Can I bring baby:
- It’s preferable that you don’t bring your baby with you as it may distract you from the session. If this is an issue, we can consider doing the sessions by Skype in the evening when your baby is asleep.
- £125 for two sessions – first session is 90 mins, follow up is 60 mins long. In some, infrequent, situations, more sessions might be needed but not expected. There is 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if you see no change after one session. Full credit is given towards subsequent Birth Doula Support.
- If you genuinely cannot afford this fee – please get in touch and ask me about my low-income clinic where you can pay on a sliding scale depending on your circumstances. You must be available to come on a Friday morning.
- Juno mums are able to access this for a substantial subsidised fee
- Read Francesca’s birth story as to how the Birth Trauma Recovery was the turning point in her birth preparation
- To book, please contact me