Confused or apprehensive about how to have a ‘good’ birth?
Feeling anxious about how painful birth might be?
Do you have specific fears you want to work through?
Experienced a difficult birth and wanting the next one to be better?
Maybe you’re planning a vaginal birth after caesarean (VBAC/HBAC)?
Or contemplating a homebirth and would like to discuss it with someone?
Perhaps you’re considering a caesarean birth?
Maybe you’re expecting twins and would like help to understand what birth with twins might be like?
Or maybe you’re just not sure and you’d like someone to spend time going through all the birth options and scenarios with you to help you have a positive birth regardless of what happens on the day?
“For far too many, pregnancy and birth is still something that happens to them rather than something they set out consciously and joyfully to do themselves”
Birth is such a momentous time and a cornerstone of your experience as a woman and mother. It can affect your life in so many ways both in the short and long term. I’ve yet to meet a woman who isn’t at least a little bit apprehensive about birth. You’re not alone in feeling like this! And sometimes the care we receive doesn’t help ease these feelings, neglecting our needs as individuals.
One to one birth preparation is for you if:
- You want to explore all your birth options
- Want to feel comfortable understanding pain and how to support yourself with pain
- Know where is the best place to give birth
- Understand how to improve your chances of a straightforward birth
- You’re looking to gain the confidence that – regardless of whatever happens – you will be able to handle it
- You’re keen to work through any fears, phobias, anxieties or worries
- You’re pregnant with your second baby and you want to have a successful VBAC or possibly vaginal birth after a very traumatic birth
- You’d like help to prepare for a specific birth – homebirth/caesarean/twins
- Health and well-being are priorities for you
“Can totally recommend Tricia Murray and EFT. After a very traumatic first birth experience I had a lot to resolve before I could birth my second daughter. She helped me do it just the way I wanted and needed. It was a big healing experience.” Taciana Jackson
“Upon meeting Tricia, I found her to be open, informative and extremely insightful. Quite quickly Tricia was able to establish that it wasn’t my previous experience and rather a loss of control that was making me anxious. Tricia recommended using EFT, which I found a powerful tool to help deescalate my high levels of anxiety…. On a personal note I found profound changes in my emotional state after 1 session.” Laura, Edinburgh
What’s covered in one to one preparation?
The aim of one to one preparation is to provide you with flexible, tailored support so you can feel calm and confident as you approach birth regardless what your needs are.
However you’re planning to have your baby or babies, these sessions will make you feel calmer and more self-assured during your pregnancy.
Whether you choose to give birth at home or in hospital, have a vaginal birth or caesarean, a medicated or unmedicated birth, you’ll be able to embrace your birth so that you can achieve the best natal experience for you on the day.
By the end of each session you will feel much more confident and prepared than when you arrived.
Here are the topics we can cover (you decide which of these you want covered):
- Place of birth
- Pain and supporting yourself with pain in birth
- Water birth
- Hormones of birth and why you need them and how to help them
- What to do when labour starts (and if relevant getting to the birth centre/hospital)
- Planning a home birth
- Planning a caesarean birth
- Vaginal birth after a caesarean (or home birth after a caesarean)
- Birth after birth trauma
- What to do when things don’t go to plan
- The golden hour
- Fear free birth
- Coping with uncertainty
- How your partner can be your doula
- Coronavirus support
What do preparation sessions look like?
- One to one (or two if your partner would like to come)
- Tailored information sessions specifically for you and your individual needs
- Identifies what your needs are to get you physically, mentally and emotionally ready to give birth
- Therapeutic coaching including –
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique – often referred to as tapping) which can help draw out the fears very quickly and also help to release and reduce these
- REWIND technique – especially where you’ve had previous negative experiences or there’s issues from the past that are getting in the way
- Solutions focussed coaching
- We can build up action plans for any worries or concerns, process any issues that are apprehensive about and vastly increase you knowledge base
- We’ll create specific birth plans for you and also a plan for any supporting partner so they know what they can do on the day
- You’ll be more confident to advocate for yourself and know what your rights are
- Unbiased information on your birth choices, autonomy, body, brain, environment… everything really!
- Help you regain control over your emotions
- Safe, non-judgmental and confidential space
How I’ve helped past clients:
“I came across the Tricia’s preparation programme when pregnant on my second child. I was about 30 weeks and my midwife was asking more about mode of delivery and suddenly my first son’s emergency c section delivery, that I thought was “dealt with” came flooding back and all the negative elements of it were full force on my mind. I was terrified of the idea of dealing with medical staff , of not feeling listened to and having to be in hospital full stop. I didn’t know what to do with all these thoughts and feelings and just thought I’ll have to go with the flow again and hope for a better experience. Not so!! I did some preparation work with Tricia and felt I clicked with her from the start. Through chatting and tapping with EFT about my anxieties and using her endless list of people and resources, I changed from the midwife who I wasn’t happy with, decided on and organised a home birth, and most importantly got my husband on board too with the idea. Tricia gave a lot of support to my husband too by means of information, people to contact regarding his fears around a home birth. We had the HBAC birth we wanted and felt assertive and in control the whole way as a result of realising and dealing with our fears. I’m really glad I did the coaching programme with Tricia as I feel a lot more assertive in general around dealing with professionals even now when it comes to me or my kids.” Aislinn Wilson
“I was recommended to Tricia, through a lifelong friend, just prior to my second child being born. I had some issues / trauma from what I thought was from my previous experience of birthing. Upon meeting Tricia, I found her to be open, informative and extremely insightful. Quite quickly Tricia was able to establish that it wasn’t my previous experience and rather a loss of control that was making me anxious. Tricia recommended using EFT, which I found a powerful tool to help deescalate my high levels of anxiety. EFT is a tool you can use anywhere and at anytime. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to gain a sense of control over any emotional difficulties that may be experienced. On a personal note I found profound changes in my emotional state after 1 session. I used it pre and post birth and will continue to use it when required. I would recommend Tricia to anyone I felt would benefit from her excellent service.” Laura, Edinburgh
Tell me MORE – I’m ready to book!
Sessions take via zoom
At a mutually convenient time
At what stage:
From 20 weeks
How many sessions:
We meet up 4-5 times with regular emails and telephone calls as needed
To book, contact me
Please note, One to One Preparation is NOT:
- A guarantee of the birth delivery – birth is uncertain and as such, no guarantee can be made over delivery method, however it can help you feel more confident in coping with all uncertainties in your birth and have a number of plans prepared
- A standardized class where each class is given in the same way – it’s an individual birth preparation programme for you – two people will never experience the same process but they will end with the same outcome – feeling much more confident, ready and calmer
Got a question about one to one birth preparation that I’ve not answered here? No worries, drop me a message!