Are you struggling and feeling overwhelmed, stressed and anxious?
Maybe you’ve had a difficult event or series of events and you’d like help to overcome them?
Maybe you’re fearful or scared of something specific?
Maybe you’re just plain fed up with life and feel in despair and would like to get out of the rut you are in?
Maybe certain people, places or situations make you clam up and would like to feel different?
Maybe you’ve had a difficult birth or other perinatal experience (fertility, loss, breastfeeding, neonatal unit etc) that you’d like to move on from?
So here’s a solution that could work for you:
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) – often referred to as Tapping
So what exactly is EFT?
EFT is a tool that can quickly change your everyday life. It’s a talking therapy which taps on a series of points around our body (like acupuncture/acupressure) and identifies the root of our worries/fears/anxieties and stresses by working with how our body reacts to a specific trigger.
Consider how you feel before a big event or job interview – your heart races, you feel light headed, and get sweaty palms and nausea – that is your body’s reaction to a trigger.
With EFT we’d work to identify that trigger, work out why your body responds in that way, release the intensity of emotion round it and then help you to break that connection so the body doesn’t react in that way.
Once we have identified the trigger and the reaction, we can use EFT or other tools to reduce – or in many cases fully release – the intensity around it and change the repetitive patterns and approaches.
It’s a simple tool that anyone can learn to use.
After becoming familiar with EFT for a number of issues and seeing how powerful it can be, I decided to train and use it to support women and men through fertility, pregnancy, birth and beyond.
What I love about EFT is that it’s quick! It’s immediately helpful and for some people a few sessions are enough – it depends on the complexity of their issue. Often clients come back with all sorts of different issues as they see the immediate and huge benefit.
What can it be used for?
It can be used for any issues that causes you to feel fearful, anxious, stressed, worried, lacking confidence, not managing to achieve a resolution on repetitive behaviours, pain and much more.
I’m particularly interested in using EFT as a way to support fertility, pregnancy, birth and early parenthood and help change people’s everyday life and mindset – fear to confidence, anxiety to calm, worried to relaxed, feeling relief post trauma.
Unlike other interventions which can take time to change those patterns, EFT can have immediate effects by tapping into where the issue resides in your body and releasing it.
What is EFT not?
It’s not counselling – we don’t spend too much time reflecting on the issue, we don’t need to know how you feel the way you do – we work entirely with how you are reacting to a trigger. Once we are aware of how your body works, we start to unhook those reactions and patterns and build new ones.
It’s not a physical therapy where I touch you – you do your own tapping on various points round your body with statements we put together.
Is it for everyone?
As per any form of therapy, EFT is more effective in some people than others – it’s thought it works with around 80% of the population so there’s a great chance it will work with you but there’s never a guarantee (like many other therapies). Many people turn up cynical and walk away converted.
The uniqueness of EFT is once you’ve learned how to “tap” and been supported to use it, you can use it everyday life – e.g. feeling anxious over writing an email, making a phonecall, meeting someone you’re not sure of, difficult conversations, stress with your family or children – every day small occurrences that can build stress in parts of our body.
My experience is that many people who have struggle with other therapies find it REALLY effective. It’s also very good for people who overthink or go off on 5 billion tangents (like me) – it stops that and focuses them into the issue.
What’s the point of going to see someone if I can use it on my own?
When we work on our own issues (me included), we navigate ourselves safely through issues and don’t tackle what’s at the root/core because often we are so resistant to change or it’s too painful. You can probably use EFT for about 50-60% of your day to day issues, but for bigger issues such as pregnancy, birth or parenting – we need support through that. For being late to a meeting – you can absolutely use EFT on your own to help you feel calm about that.
What’s the evidence around EFT?
Studies have shown a comparison between CBT/Medication and EFT – the average number of sessions for treating anxiety with CBT/Medication is 15 (typical number of sessions between 9 and 20) whereas EFT the average is 3 (typical number of sessions between 1 and 7). There is still more research to be done to really evaluate it’s effectiveness given how new it is. However, as a therapy it’s gaining a massive momentum, becoming much more mainstream and that speaks volumes in itself.
Here are some articles which help:
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT): An Effective Non-Drug Treatment for Depression
- The Emotional Freedom Technique for the Treatment of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, or Anxiety: Clinical Evidence
- A narrative systematic review of the effectiveness of Emotional Freedoms Technique (EFT)
- ACUPOINT STIMULATION IN TREATING PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS: EVIDENCE OF EFFICACY
- EFT Universe – Research Section
- Mentioned on Woman’s Hour on Radio 4 around Perinatal Anxiety (31 minutes in)
The benefits of EFT:
- is amazingly fast and effective
- identify triggers, behaviours, core beliefs very quickly
- feeling of being relaxed/wellbeing
- physically release any emotions/fears/anxiety/intensity
- being in control – events or situations don’t trigger you
- able to regulate your emotions
- a tool you can take away and use on your own
What I like to use it for (where my expertise lies):
- Anxiety and depression
- Stress and overwhelm (check out the Overcome the Overload community)
- Mums who are fearful of birth – one off sessions or else sign up to a one to one birth coaching programme
- New parents who are anxious about looking after a new baby and life as a parent – please refer to one to one parenting coaching
- Mums and dads with mild/moderate perinatal mental health illness (that is antenatal/postnatal depression, baby blues, anxiety, OCD etc)
- Birth trauma, grief/disappointment – it’s powerful tool at helping to overcome a traumatic birth and help to heal your birth and can be used in combination with the REWIND technique
- Breastfeeding grief/aversion
- Mums with medium-long term mild/moderate mental health illnesses
- Mums and dads who are feeling overwhelmed for whatever reason
- Mums who are returning to work and trying to juggle it all
- Women trying to get pregnant and struggling with infertility – EFT can help give you a coping mechanism AND identify any blocks that are reducing your chances of falling pregnant
- Supporting birth workers (doulas and midwives) and all the issues they may have in their work or their business
- Women who are struggling with various issues in their lives
I have also successfully used EFT with migraines, addictions, fear of flying, events (car crashes), general fears and phobias (spiders, cats and other issues), limiting beliefs (I’m not good enough) and so much more…
(Please note, that sometimes EFT will be used in COMBINATION with other tools that I use).
EFT may be for you if:
- you are ready for a massive change
- you want to work through what’s happening with you
- you’re able to connect with your negative emotions
- you’ve tried other therapies and nothing has worked
- you are open to trying a completely different approach
- you prioritise your health and well-being
- you are willing to put in the work to get the best results for you
“After suffering from 6 miscarriages and 1 termination last year I felt I needed some counselling to help me through the severe anxiety I was suffering. I was referred to Tricia through another counsellor, due to her specialism in fertility and birth.
I have to say, I had never heard of EFT technique but was open to trying it. Tricia and I conducted our sessions over Skype, which worked well for me as I felt safe and secure in the comfort of my home. The EFT technique helped me to work through the massive knot in my stomach I had surrounding my miscarriages and fertility. I always came away from the session feeling positive and less anxious.
To help me move forward and let go of some of the hurt surrounding the losses, Tricia used a technique called REWIND, which involved me bringing my anxieties to the surface and then imagining myself in a safe, calming place. This technique helped me to move forward and view being pregnant in a more positive light, removing some of the trauma I associated with it.
Since January this year I worked with Tricia through a successful pregnancy, right up to birth. Helping to keep me in a positive state of mind and also prepare for the birth.
Since having baby Freddie in October, Tricia has provided excellent support and advice on breast feeding.
Both the birth and breastfeeding bundles have been extremely useful.
I would certainly recommend Tricia to anyone who has fertility issues and looking to move forward with a more positive mindset and hopefully success like me with a beautiful baby.”
“I went to see Tricia as I was suffering from a horrible anxiety and my friend recommended EFT. I admit I wasn’t convinced after reading the information but I thought I’d give a go. Tricia put me at ease immediately and we worked through some of things that were making me feel edgy. Within moments of starting the tapping technique I was calmer and the session was hugely beneficial. I’ve never know something to work so well so quickly and two weeks later I still feel great, I would highly recommend giving EFT a try”.
“Can totally recommend Tricia Murray and EFT. after a very traumatic first birth experience I had a lot to resolve before I could birth my second daughter. She helped me do it just the way I wanted and needed. It was a big healing experience.” Taciana Jackson
I booked EFT sessions with Tricia to help get over my anxiety and fear of Post Natal Depression returning during my second pregnancy. I also hoped to work on coping with other stressful life situations during my pregnancy. I cannot recommend Tricia highly enough, she made me feel completely at ease! I had never experienced anything like EFT before and so I wasn’t sure what to expect, I couldn’t believe the difference in my coping skills after even just one session. Tricia made me feel safe, secure and relaxed during the sessions and I wish I had known about EFT sooner in life. Thank you Tricia! (KD, Edinburgh)
- £75 per 60 min session/£95 per 90 minute session
- If you genuinely cannot afford this fee – get in touch and ask me about my low-income clinic where you can pay on a sliding scale depending on your circumstances
- Juno mums are able to access this for a subsidised fee
How many sessions
It’s hard to know how many sessions you will need – depending on the complexity of your issue, it’s likely you will need between 3 and 7 sessions for your specific issue – some people need more, some people find one session is enough.
And of course, you may find it so amazing you’ll want to use it for other areas of your life. Here’s an example where you may come for more…. issues around fertility, fertility treatment, birth preparation, new mum support…
And some still book in for a once a month session to let go of anything that’s coming up for them.
Sessions will take place in my home or via Skype.
What happens in you first session
The first session is 90 minutes long so we can go through what EFT is in more depth. We start off doing some practice tapping so that before we really get into your issue, you can get comfortable with EFT and can show you how effective it can be. We then start working on your issue.
To book a session, contact me, briefly outlining what you want to get out of the session and I’ll get back to you by phone or email.