Have you experienced an isolated traumatic event and are struggling to resolve it?
Maybe you’re still experiencing anger, irritability, mood swings, anxiety and fear, guilt, shame, self-blame, withdrawing from others, feeling sad or hopeless or feeling disconnected or numb?
Maybe you’ve had enough time reflecting on what’s happened and really want to move on?
Maybe you don’t want to spend any more time talking about it but you want pro-active action and to see quick results?
Here’s a solution that could work for you – REWIND technique
What is the ‘REWIND’ technique?
It’s a non-intrusive, safe and highly effective psychological method for de-traumatising people, which can also be used for removing phobias and is only performed once a person is in a state of deep relaxation.
When they are fully relaxed, they are encouraged to bring their experience to the surface and then are calmed down again by being guided to recall or imagine a place where they feel totally safe and at ease.
Their relaxed state is then deepened and they are asked to imagine that, in their special safe place, they have a TV set and a DVD player with a remote control facility. They are asked to imagine floating to one side, out of body, and to watch themselves watching the screen, without actually seeing the picture (creating a double dissociation). They watch themselves watching a ‘film’ of the traumatic event that is still affecting them. The film begins at a point before the trauma occurred and ends at a point at which the trauma is over and they feel safe again.
Besides being safe, quick and painless, the technique has the advantage of being non-voyeuristic. Intimate details do not have to be made public.
- Difficult births
- Had a difficult post birth experience (eg sepsis or long term stay in hospital for other health issue)
- Babies have been separated post birth due a complication
- Breastfeeding trauma
- Stayed in the Mother and Baby Unit
- Recovering from postnatal depression/anxiety (PTSD from PND is something that can happen)
- An experience pre-birth such as surgery, fertility, miscarriage, IVF treatment or something else which may impact the birth
- Tokophobia (fear of childbirth)
It is a very effective and well tested technique that neutralises the disturbing feelings associated with trauma. The memory of what happened still exists but it no longer provokes any of the emotions associated with the events.
Here’s the evidence from PTSD Charity (specifically Human Givens approach).
What can it be used for?
It can be used for any traumatic events or phobias linked to traumatic events
What is REWIND not?
It’s not counselling – we don’t spend too much time reflecting on the issue, we immediately go into the technique.
It doesn’t remove the memory – the memory stays intact, but the emotions around it are what you choose them to be)
It is not for those with complex PTSD – it’s specifically for isolated events which may or may not result in PTS/PTSD as not all trauma results in PTSD
Is it for everyone?
As per any form of therapy, REWIND will be more effective in some people than others. It is estimated that success rates of this are around 85% and that’s certainly in line with the clients I’ve worked with since 2016.
The benefits of REWIND:
- it is efficient – often 2-3 sessions is enough
- you can reflect on the experience in the way that you choose
- being in control – events or situations don’t trigger you
- able to regulate your emotions
- it’s very gentle and safe
REWIND may be for you if:
- you want to move on
- you are ready to work through your experience
- you’ve tried other therapies and nothing has worked
- you are open to trying a completely different approach
- you prioritise your health and well-being
Cost: £95 per session – each session last between 60-90 mins
How many sessions?
For most people, two sessions are enough. In some instances more sessions may be required or EFT might be a better option and we can identify that after your first session. It really is dependent on the issues. Often there might be other contributory issues stemming from the original experience that you need support with.
Sessions will take place in my home or via Skype.
To book a session, get in touch briefly outlining what you want to get out of the session and I’ll get back to you by phone or email.