All over my social media for the last few days I’ve watched that clip of Meghan Markle documenting publicly what so many mums go through. I am so sorry that she’s had to go through this so publicly. It’s the epitome of vulnerability and it’s something we could all take lessons from in a number of ways. Here’s what we can learn from Meghan Markle’s interview:
1. That we ALL struggle – it doesn’t matter what our environment provides or doesn’t provide – we all struggle. We are ALL juggling so much. The juggle and struggle is real for all of us.
2. Looking after our mental health is for EVERYONE
3. Because someone looks like they are gliding along, we are all swans (all be it some more graceful from the outside than others…. I don’t think I’ve actually brushed my hair all weekend)
4. You can never ask someone enough if they are ok
5. Vulnerability makes us human and very suddenly we all care – showing that you need help or aren’t coping is no bad thing.
This is something that I sometimes struggle with personally – should I pretend that my life is perfect because I am supporting others…. Is it not ok to own up to a bad day/week? Does that make me less good at my job of supporting others because I’ve had a week where everything has been shaken upside down and I’m trying to hold it all together?
I personally struggle seeing others working in the field who make out that they have it all together. I have YET TO MEET A MUM who doesn’t have bad days. I believe it’s so important to realise that we are all human. That no one is perfect. That we are all mums fundamentally.
What I hope I convey to others is how my own approach of compassion to myself, validating my feelings, changing my inner dialogue, working through my belief system, identifying what’s leaking in from earlier life experiences etc can help me to overcome those days SO THEY STOP HAVING AN IMPACT ON ME VERY QUICKLY. And how I constantly seek help through physical help and support and a commitment to constantly working through my own stuff in my own EFT sessions.
Whilst I wish her and every other mum, dad, human out there wellness… I’m glad she opened up as it made her real and it’s fantastic to see discussion about perinatal mental health. We could all learn so much about opening up and asking for help as well as asking others.
If you are you struggling and would like some help – you may be interested in some one to one parent coaching or EFT support. In the meantime, you can get access to these videos which will help you to feel calmer within 5 minutes by clicking here.
I’ll leave you with this lovely quote from Brene Brown….
“Somehow we’ve come to equate success with not needing anyone. Many of us are willing to extend a helping hand, but we’re very reluctant to reach out for help when we need it ourselves. It’s as if we’ve divided the world into “those who offer help” and “those who need help.” The truth is that we are both.”
Much love, Tricia xxxx