There’s something that I’ve really noticed in client sessions this week.
When clients say things to me like
“I just want to run away”
“Constantly comparing myself to others”
“I’m bored being a mum”
“This is going to end me”
“I should be doing better”
I know that it’s not what the rational part of you believes but it’s a programme within you running.
Often this programme is there for all the right reasons – generally to protect you from pain, discomfort, criticism, something bad happening through avoidance, over thinking, lashing out, shutting down or something else.
Yet the way the programme runs – doesn’t protect you… it often makes everything worse… sometimes we might call it a… maladaptive coping strategy.
- Avoiding a conversation or situation – makes everything worse.
- Lashing out at others before they can attack you (even if they aren’t) – makes everything worse.
- Letting your thoughts go round and round and round – makes everything worse.
- Having to shut down by making yourself sleep – makes everything worse (I don’t mean a healthy/restful nap which I totally love).
Your rational self knows:
- You can cope
- You don’t need to compare yourself to others
- You’re doing a brilliant job
- You are worthy of help and support
What my interest and goal is working with clients – is that they can stop working from maladaptive and unhelpful parts and work the vast majority of time from the rational part.
I’m currently fully booked, but feel free to check out my calm foundations course.
Much love, Tricia xxxx